Federal Ministry of Defense, Berlin
Even after Berlin became the German capital once more in 1990, the Ministry of Defence continued to operate from its long-standing headquarters on Hardthöhe in Bonn. The second seat, in Berlin, is situated in the historically important Bendlerblock in the district of Tiergarten. The complex which was built in 1914 and re-erected after 1945 was thoroughly refurbished as well as extended by a new building for about 280 staff. Following the requirements from the preservation authorities, and taking into account significant building heights and visual connections, an autonomous conclusion for the whole complex was created.